Photo from Southern Living MagazineMany resolutions fail to make it past the month of January. If you are one of the many people who resolved to make over their bodies in the New Year but have already slacked off, you could probably use a little motivation to get going again. Why not adapt an extra room of your house to serve as inspiring space to get in shape?
Unless you choose your basement or garage as a designated workout area, there is no reason to make the space look like a gym. Outfit the room like you would any other and it can double as a home office or guest quarters when work out time is over.
- An open-backed bookshelf lets wall color shine and provides easy storage for workout accessories, books and DVDs. Black Modern Shelving Unit from Target.com
- Add an unexpected element like a chandelier with an organic silhouette. Camilla 3-Arrm Chandelier from Pottery Barn
- Create a bold focal point by wallpapering one wall. Family Tree wallpaper from Walnut Wallpaper; Paint Color Georgian Bay (#6509) by Sherwin Williams
- Choose practical, yet pretty flooring. Flor tiles in Needlepoint Stripe and Velvet Twist
- Choose functional storage that is pretty to look at. Contour baskets from CB2; Cypress ottoman from Crate and Barrel
- Choose a flat-screen television with a sharp picture for instructional DVDs. LG 32" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV from Best Buy
- A sleek iPod docking station blends in with your decor while you listen to your favorite tunes. Vers 2X from Vers Audio
- A decorative mirror allows you to monitor poses. Hang three to add interest to a blank wall like in the inspiration room above. Foil Finish Hall Mirror from Target.com
- Pretty accessories and comfortable clothes make a workout more fun. Printed Yoga Mat from Old Navy; Natural Fitness Burst-Resistant Exercise Ball from Target.com; Women's Wide-Leg Yoga Capris from Old Navy; Premium Basic Striped Hoodie from Nike
- Fluffy towels are nice to have after a strenuous session and these look fine sitting in plain sight. Better Homes and Gardens 3-piece Towel Set in Admiral Blue, Platinum Silver and Grey Shadow from Walmart.com
- Keep a set of hand weights accessible for extra toning. CAP Barbell Cast-Iron Dumbells from Academy Sports and Outdoors
Did you resolve to lose weight, get in better shape or be healthier this year? Is your workout space visually inspiring?