April 22, 2009

Create A Relaxing Outdoor Space

In honor of Earth Day I put together this board for an intimate outdoor seating area. Several of the products use sustainable materials or are eco-friendly in other ways. It would work equally well in a small garden, patio or even a balcony (just choose a smaller rug and trade the flowering bushes for potted plants).

Our front porch has an odd little nook with nothing in it. Unfortunately, I’m not much of an outdoorsy girl so venturing outside to sit isn’t high on my list. However, if it looked like this – inviting, peaceful, stylish – I just might find more time to go out there.

  • A lantern looks pretty during the day, but it adds the perfect amount of sparkle to a seating area after the sun sets. Bristol lantern from Pottery Barn
  • You can sit on it or prop up your feet, but I'd put this hand-carved, hand-painted beauty between the bistro chairs and set my drink on it. garden stool from Pier 1
  • The vintage vibe of this rug pulls the outdoor space together. Bonus: just spray it down when it gets dirty. outdoor rug from Target
  • I absolutely love, love, love hydrangeas. While April may be a tad early for these blooms, they are the endless summer variety, so you will plenty of time to enjoy them. endless summer hydrangeas from Home Depot
Do you have a favorite place to sit outside?

No comments: