May 28, 2009

Talking About My Inspiration With...Kristin Warbington

Today Kristin Warbington of Discover Interior Design is talking about her inspiration. As someone with a background in interior design, I was immediately attracted to her blog first by its name, then by its layout (sophisticated, crisp and professional) and then by its content (stylish, interesting and educational). I am excited to share this glimpse into her world.

Kristin’s answers to my five questions give an up-close look at how she seeks and finds inspiration. From taking a walk to searching the web to collecting items that inspire, each of these steps come together to provide direction in the creative process.

As an interior designer – she is currently working on LEED certification – Kristin brings an insider’s eye and a personal style to her blog. With designer profiles, home tours and fun design finds, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Go for a visit and start discovering the world of interior design through Kristin’s eyes.

Thank you, Kristin, for telling us a little about your methods and resources for inspiration!



Quick, without thinking, what does inspiration mean to you?

To me, inspiration makes the world go ‘round. It is an abstract idea that I try to immerse myself in and breathe daily.

Is there one task that always requires some inspiration to help you accomplish?
When it comes to design projects, I find that inspiration is absolutely essential. I will snatch fabric samples, paint chips, tear sheets, and stone samples, and other random objects like metal scraps, rocks, or flowers. I like to throw all of these things into a pile and draw conclusions from each. Beyond design projects, sometimes inspiration is necessary just to get the day rolling… lol.

When you’re in a creative rut, where is the first place you go/look to be inspired?
I try to abandon my surroundings and go somewhere new. I think it’s important to disconnect from technology every once in a while and experience the people and places around us. I typically return feeling refreshed and full of ideas. Of course, the internet isn’t all bad. I often find myself perusing photography on We Heart It and can’t help but save hundreds of these photos on my computer for future reference. When everything else fails… I bust open my filing cabinet which is overflowing with tear sheets. It’s quite ridiculously, really. I probably have enough tear sheets on file to create about 30 magazines again….

I am obsessed with inspiration boards. Do you keep anything like this (board, journal, etc.) to help you catalog bits of inspiration?
I love inspirations boards. I had one prior to moving, but haven’t had the chance to set up another since settling into my new place. I plan to very soon. In addition to inspiration boards, I actually have a metal basket that I keep near my desk - it’s usually full of tear sheets, ribbons, fabric scraps and even a cork or two from a wine bottle – what ever strikes my fancy at that moment. It tends to fill up with items that eventually make it to my inspiration board! Oh, and when I am on the run, I do keep a Moleskine to jot down ideas and thoughts as well.

What are your top 5 sources of inspiration?
  • Interior Design & Architecture – I find that a lot of what inspires me is driven by design itself. I tend to visit these sites often:
  1. Desire to Inspire
  2. 2 or 3 Things I Know
  3. Architectural Record
  4. Dress Design Decor
  • Travel & Culture – I love to travel. Unfortunately, I haven’t done much of it, but I look forward to the day when my (currently non-existent) passport looks like a tattooed-lady and I have moleskins full of my documented travels. Seeing other’s photos and hearing their stories, for now, is inspiration enough.
  • Life (every single bit of it) – Perhaps that’s cliché, but clichés usually turn out to be true anyway.
  • Friends + Family
  • Misc.
  1. Kissing Her Cage Goodbye
  2. Don't Forget to Fly
  3. I especially like this site because it is here that I can read things like this “You will hear it and no one else will, like your soul wears headphones and only it can hear the music.” I think that’s lovely. I Wrote This For You

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay! Thank you for asking me to participate - I really enjoyed myself. :-)

Lindsay C. said...

How fun! Great interview...it's so nice to get a glimpse of how others work. Thanks!